I’ve been reminding myself (pretty much since the new year started) to prepare my Valentine’s Day DIY’s ahead of time. Right. That never happened, and next thing I knew Valentine’s is only THREE days away! So if like me, you’ve procrastinated way too long to get started with your Valentine’s Day DIY projects and gift-giving preparations, here’s an easy and simple last minute idea.
Yup, this is the first time I’m celebrating Valentine’s Day with sometime special. So why didn’t I make special preparations?
IDEA: Make a makeshift coupon book!
I’m not going to go into great detail, because it’s really self -explanatory. Materials I used include: a sheet of pink card stock, an archival pen (black ink), a pink gel pen, a pair of scissors, and a ruler.
1. Determine how big or small you want to make your coupons. I made mine bank card/ business card sized so it can fit inside a wallet pocket.
2. Design your coupons. Think of the person you’re giving these to. What do they like? What do they often want or ask for? In my case, Tav often requests to just go out and eat fast food whenever he is too tired (or lazyor hungry) to make (or wait for) real food. So one of the coupons I made is a Fast Food Pass that he can use so he can eat fast food, no questions asked.
3. Cut to size. I’m not sure if you can see it clearly from the pictures, but I actually included the perforated are to the measured size. Because well, I don’t have a tool that makes the perforations and I want the receiver to be able to tear it off from the booklet after it’s bound.
4. Make a cover. Make it as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. Do it the usual coupon book style, or like a matchbook. Mine took a little bit of trial and error.
5. Bind together. You can use a stapler, a needle and some thread or to hold the booklet together, really.
Note: If you’re curious to know how the cover was made,
let me know here’s the link to the template. I’ll try to draw or scan a rough pattern. It took some trial and error to make but I think it worked out alright.